NFID Policy for Funder Engagement
The National Foundation for Infectious Diseases (NFID) receives funding from a range of sources, including industry and foundation grants, government contracts, corporate sponsorship, and private/individual donations to advance the NFID mission. To ensure that NFID funder relationships do not compromise accepted ethical and educational standards, NFID conforms to the Standards for Commercial Support, Standards to Ensure Independence in CME Activities set forth by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education. In addition, NFID has established Policies for Managing Commercial Support and Conflicts of Interest that are based upon those standards and policies.
The NFID Board of Directors has oversight of all NFID programs. To provide further guidance and clarification on specific issues that pertain to NFID and its funder relationships, the following additional guidelines have been adopted:
- NFID accepts financial and in-kind support only if such acceptance does not pose a conflict of interest and in no way impairs NFID objectivity, influence, priorities, and actions.
- Support for NFID programs does not allow influence over content, nor does it imply NFID approval or endorsement of an organization’s policies, products, or services, whether a program is funded by a single or multiple sources.
- The decision on whether to accept financial or in-kind support from any donor rests solely with NFID.
- Support will only be sought and/or accepted for programs or activities consistent with the NFID mission and primary goals.
- Support must not place conditions on any programs or activities that involve the generation or dissemination of scientific information. NFID will be solely responsible for the development and content of any such scientific/educational programs or services.
- Whenever possible and feasible, NFID will seek funding for programs or services from a variety of sources. However, there may be occasions when support for a specific program or activity from a single source is appropriate. In all cases, measures will be taken to avoid any actual or perceived conflicts of interest.
- NFID is responsible for compliance with the terms and conditions of all external funding received. NFID staff will review funding agreements for compatibility with the NFID mission and compliance with all NFID policies.